No experience needed! We train you – it’s easy!
Share your love of science and nature! For over 40 years, the Environmental Volunteers have been teaching school children in their classrooms and local nature preserves about the natural world. In 2012 we opened the EcoCenter, a nature center in the Palo Alto Baylands to bring these experiences to the entire community.
The EcoCenter is open to the public on select days, and our docents are there to greet the public, and share their love of the outdoors with visitors of all ages. They might be leading nature hikes in the baylands, guiding visitors on our interactive touchscreen displays, or sharing hands-on learning activities about local birds, native plants, earthquakes, and more.
How can you become an Environmental Volunteer EcoCenter Docent? Our requirements are simple; all you need is a love of nature, and learning! This is an opportunity for anyone from the expert birder or biologist or teacher, to those who just love nature and want to share it with others. Our training and mentoring programs provide you with all the skills and materials that you need to become an EcoCenter docent.
How Do I Get Started as a Volunteer?
You do not need teaching experience or a background in natural science to be an Environmental Volunteer – just an appreciation of nature and learning and an interest in working with EcoCenter visitors of all ages. We provide all of the necessary training.
The next step is to contact us. Fill out our online Volunteer Information Request form OR email us at Volunteer@EVols.org.
Why should I become an Environmental Volunteer?
In addition to helping Environmental Volunteers provide vital nature and science programs to local students, you’ll benefit, too!
- Expand your knowledge of the natural environment of the Bay Area
- Stay engaged in lifelong learning about nature, science, and the local community
- Have fun discovering local ecosystems through the eyes of enthusiastic young students
- Make new friends who enjoy learning, exploration, and working with kids as much as you do!
- Contact us for more information about volunteering.
- The minimum commitment requested of EcoCenter Docents is one 2.5 hour session per month. There are weekday and weekend opportunities available.
- Complete the EcoCenter Docent Training Program