Job Opportunities at the EV - Development Assistant
Title: Development Assistant
Exempt/Non-exempt/Hourly: Non-exempt Hourly Full-time
About the Environmental Volunteers
Since 1972, the Environmental Volunteers has been sharing the wonders of environmental science with youth, and sparking their interest in lifelong learning through discovery of the natural world. Annually, our classroom-based science education and field trip programs reach 10,000 San Mateo and Santa Clara County students, grades K-6, and assist their 400 teachers in meeting state education standards. The EcoCenter, our headquarters located in the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve, is a community resource for environmental learning and a place that inspires a love of nature and stewardship.
The Development Assistant (DA) is part of the team responsible for raising funds from individuals, corporations, foundations, and government sources, to support the ongoing work of the Environmental Volunteers.
The DA will serve an important role in supporting our fundraising efforts.
The right candidate for this job will have an appreciation of the importance of environmental education, and a wide array of interests and talents. From “people person” to “data wonk”, the ideal candidate is eager to learn as much as s/he can about nonprofit fundraising.
The Development Assistant will report to the Development Director.
- Database management (40%)
- Input donor payments, pledges, and contact information into the database with high degree of accuracy.
- Become highly skilled in navigating all aspects of the database; previous experience with Donor Perfect is a plus.
- Maintain clean data within the database.
- Run analytics and reports as needed.
- Create and expedite donation acknowledgments.
- Create files, print appeal letters, and complete mailing projects.
- Assist with general development administration and special projects as needed (35%)
- Manage and develop occasional small fundraising opportunities/campaigns (2%)
- Create content for digital media for Development. Assist the Marketing and Communications Director with other projects, as needed (8%).
- Assist with planning of fundraising and stewardship events (10%)
- Participate in general organizational activities, events, and tasks as needed (5%)
- Four-year Bachelor’s degree in a related area.
- A minimum of one year of work experience in a position with similar responsibilities; previous experience in the nonprofit sector preferred.
- Previous experience utilizing an information management platform (relational donor database).
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A proven commitment to the mission of the Environmental Volunteers.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office Suite; familiarity with Mac OS; experience with Google Docs.
- Experience in writing/creating content for digital media.
- Self-sufficiency with ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks and responsibilities, and meet deadlines.
- Comfortable communicating with a variety of people in a professional manner. Excellent interpersonal skills, affinity for networking and demonstrated high level of confidence and poise, with a strong customer-service orientation.
- Creative thinker and problem solver.
- Occasional evening and weekend work required.
- California Driver’s License and dependable car.
This is a full-time, non-exempt position based in Palo Alto, California.
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage, three weeks paid vacation, and sick leave.
Instructions to apply:
Email a cover letter (please include your salary range requirement), resume, and two writing samples (published collateral pieces, newsletters, fundraising appeals, press releases, etc.) to:
In the subject line, please reference your last name, followed by "Development Assistant”. No phone calls, please.
Learn more about the Environmental Volunteers at www.EVols.org