News & Stories
Check out our news & stories section to learn more about Environmental Volunteers and the work we do to bring environmental education into our community.
Stories & Updates
- 2016 Programs in Review: A Year of Nature Learning » January 2017 - Take a look back at our public programs and initiatives in 2016!
- A Curriculum That Cultivates Stewards » October 2016 - The EV's Educate for Action initiative aims to transform local students into environmental stewards
- Discovery Through Hands-on Learning (Audio) » September 2016 - Hear a podcact featuring 3rd grade teacher, Elsa Chen, who shares the value of EV school programs and their impact on her students' love of learning and discovery.
- Being in the Woods: A Huddart Park Story » April 2016 - A group of 2nd graders from Addison School took a field trip to Huddart Park where they hiked and explored how plants & animals adapt to their habitats.
- A Chorus of Cools: A Baylands Field Trip Story » March 2016 - Students from L.P. Collins School in Cupertino joined the EV for a trip to the Baylands as a hands-on follow-up to the material they had been learning about in the classroom.
- EV Programs Update: Learning Across the Community » February 2016 - Take a peek inside some of the Environmental Volunteers' programs ranging from water science at Brentwood Academy to conservation at Castro School.
- Bringing Smiles to Science Day: A Story from Garfield Elementary » 2015- Read about how the EV brings hands-on, interactive science education to 3rd graders at Garfield Elementary School during an after school program.
- A Good Boy with a Giant Heart: A Camp Story » October 2015 - Learn about how one rambunctious camper channeled his energy into curiosity and wonder about the natural world through Explore! Camp run through the EcoCenter.
- Making a Difference: Profiles of the Youth Leadership Board » 2015 - Meet Justin, a 14 year old with ambition who recently joined the EV's Youth Leadership Board.
- Making a Difference: Profiles of the Youth Leadership Board » 2015 - Meet some of the bright young members of the Youth Leadership Board and what inspires them to make a difference.
- Hector's Story » 2014 - Read about the story of Hector and his first canoe trip in the Baylands.
- Scientists on the Schoolyard: A Look Inside "Nature in Your Neighborhood" » November 2013 - Dive into this anecdote on how one volunteer cultivated a sense of wonder towards the natural world for her students.
- Learning the Importance of Nature: Matthew Jones' Internship at the EV » Summer 2012 - Read about Matthew Jone's experience as a Communication and Development Intern at the EV.
- Introducing the EcoCenter on Wheels » June 2016 - The EV unveils the new EcoCenter on Wheels, a new mobile learning station in the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve that expands the abilitiy to deliver hands-on science education.
- EV Selected for $200,000 Game Changer Grant » February 2016 - Environmental Volunteers was selected as a recipient of a $200,000 Game Changer Grant by the Super Bowl 50 Host Committe.
- The EcoBox » August 2014 - The EV has added a new peice of educational technology, the EcoBox, which will bring to life topics such as bird migration and tidal fluctuations.
- New Public Service Announcement taped » August 2014 - Our own Rodrigo Alfaro gave a PSA to the Ravenswood School District through CreaTV in San Jose.
- Growing by Numbers » August 2013 - Executive Director of the EV, Allan Berkowitz, shares some milestone numbers demonstrating the tremendoous work of the nonprofit.
- Abilities United Learns at the EcoCenter » November 2012 - The EV hosted 15 adult participants from Abilities United for an field trip to the EcoCenter.
- Interpretative Signs Enhance Visitor's Experience at the Baylands » October 2012 - Twelve new interpretive signs have been installed in the EcoCenter’s Native Plant Garden along the Bay Trail.
- The EV Makes the Top Ten on GreatNonprofits.org » 2012 - The Environmental Volunteers was named one of the Top Ten Best Volunteer Opportunities in the Bay Area by GreatNonprofits.org, a widely used platform that allows people to share and review nonprofits.
- EcoCenter Phase I Complete » 2009 - First stage of the EcoCenter's renovation is complete which includes installing a new roof, new doors and reinstalling the restored original windows.
- Have Exhibits, Will Travel » August 2016 - Palo Alto Weekly features the EcoCenter on Wheels, a new environmental education program in the Baylands that takes the lessons to the people.
- Environmental Volunteers helps 10,000 students a year bridge the ‘nature gap’ » February 2016 - Article in Palo Alto Pulse on the EV's programs and mission in combatting the nature gap and growing the next generation of stewards for the environment.
- Training for the Environmental Volunteers Being Held in January » December 2015 - Join the EV this January to become a member of the Environmental Volunteers and participate at the EcoCenter, in field trips, and schools.
- Canoeing the Baylands in The Patch » September 2015 - Late September is a great time to be out in the Baylands as coverage by the Palo Alto Patch reporter.
- Coverage of EcoCenter Endangered Species Exhibit » June 2015 - Sakshi Satpathy's Girl Scout Silver Award research project and exhibit launched at the EcoCenter on Saturday, June 14 and was covered in the Palo Alto Pulse.
- Kiwanis Angel Award » September 2014 - Executive Director of the EV, Allan Berkowitz, is awarded the Palo Alto Kiwanis Angel Award.
- Environmental Volunteers featured on KBAY 94.5 » August 2014 - Executive Director of the EV, Allan Berkowitz, discusses what's going on at the nonprofit.
- UniMas » 2014 - Rodrigo Alfaro will be featured on UniMas Spanish Language Network on Thursday May 21.
- KQED Science: Palo Alto Celebrates New Nature Center » The grand opening of the Environmental Volunteers' EcoCenter ushers in a new era for the historic Sea Scout building.
- Canoe Ecology Program Recognized by Mercury News » September 2013 - Read what the San Jose Mercury News had to say about the EV's guided canoe trip that gives visitors a rare look at the Baylands from water.
- Junior Naturalist program introduces kids to the Baylands » June 2013 - The Palo Alto Weekly recently highlighted the EV’s popular Junior Naturalist after school program, which provides local youths with a chance to engage in hands-on natural science activities.
- Bay Nature Interview with Alan Berkowitz » March 2013 - Executive Director of the EV, Allan Berkowitz spoke with Bay Nature last week about his life, what motivates him in this work, and about the organization itself.
- SF Chronicle: Historic Preservation of the EcoCenter » August 2012 - Read about the SF Chronicle article on the preservation and restoration of the long-time home of the Sea Scouts into the new EcoCenter.
- Photo Tour: Environmental Education Comes to Life! » July 2012 - Blog post on Microsoft celebrating the grand opening of the EcoCenter, the Bay Area’s newest environmental education facility.
- KQED: Palo Alto Celebrates New Nature Center » July 2012 - Opening of the new EcoCenter drew a crowd of a couple hundred people in the Palo Alto Baylands Preserve.
- Environmental Volunteers Open the EcoCenter in the Palo Alto Baylands » July 2012 - Palo Alto Weekly article on the grand opening of the EcoCenter.
- New Life Found for Old Sea Scouts Building » June 2012 - Read the Daily Post article about the rejuvenation of the old Sea Scouts home base under the guidance of the EV's mission.
- EV on the Wish List » 2010 - Check out the article in 2010 Holiday Wish Book of the San Jose Mercury News.
- Science by Nature Collaboration in the News » December 2010 - San Jose Mercury News article on the Environmental Volunteer's new partnership that aims to boost science learning in the Bay Area.
- EcoCenter in the News: Almost Complete » September 2009 - Read about the current progress of the EcoCenter's path to restoration in this article by the the Palo Alto Daily News.
- KQED California Report: Teaching Kids About the Environment » August 2009 - Bob Dodge, volunteer for the Environmental Volunteers in Palo Alto, leads educational field trips for kids at Jasper Ridge Biological Preserve.
- EcoCenter Article: Relic to Rise Again » August 2008 - Palo Alto Daily News article on the renovation of the historic Sea Scout building.
Just for Fun!
- Top 8 Benefits of Summer Camp » 2016 - Find out the 8 amazing benefits that our Camp Director, Jesse Hall, believes all campers recieve through their experience with the EV.
- As a Thank You: Thansgiving Recipe » November 2015 - A great recipe for Swiss Chard and Goat Cheese Tart!
- 10 Ways to Green Your Holiday » December 2012 - Check out these ten ways to make your Holidays more eco-friendly!