The Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided grants to over 20,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The Transportation Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, Environmental Volunteers was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, directly benefiting the Transportation Fund.
Funds are still available for 2016-17 school year trips!
Applications for the 2016-17 school year will be accepted starting May 1, 2016.
Who is eligible?
The Transportation Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations.
To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group will:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Sonoma, or Solano);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for a science or environmental-based field trip;
- Receive only one subsidy per school year.
How much will the Transportation Fund subsidize?
- For schools with 70% FRPM or greater, the maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
- For schools with 40-69% FRPM, the fund will pay up to the percentage of your FRPM (e.g. a school with a 50% FRPM will get a subsidy of 50% of bus costs up to a maximum of $250 per bus).
- For youth-serving organizations (e.g. an after-school program serving a community with 70% FRPM or greater), the maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
Applications for the Transportation Fund are only accepted online and are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants will receive an email notification within 30 days whether they have been granted funds.
1. Please confirm your school's FRPM before applying: click here.
2. If your school meets all of the listed eligibility requirements listed above, please click the appropriate application below (only one application per grade level is necessary):
Apply here on behalf of:
Schools with 40-69% FRPM
Schools with 70% + FRPM
A Youth-serving Organization
Thank you for your interest in the Transportation Fund!