About the Environmental Volunteers
Since 1972, the Environmental Volunteers has been sharing the wonders of environmental science with youth, sparking their interest in lifelong learning through discovery of the natural world. Annually, our classroom-based science education and field trip programs reach 12,000 San Mateo and Santa Clara County students, grades K-8, and assist their 400 teachers in meeting state education standards. The EcoCenter, our headquarters located in the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve, is a new community resource for environmental education and a place that inspires a love of nature and stewardship.
Title: Materials Coordinator Date: January 31, 2017
Reports to: Education and Training Director
Department: Education Department
Exempt/Non-exempt/Hourly: Non-exempt Hourly Part-time
Environmental Volunteers (the EV) promotes environmental stewardship and a love of nature. The EV provides educational programming to schools throughout Silicon Valley. Our classroom program includes 85+ hands-on learning stations containing a wide variety of engaging materials, which require continual maintenance and restocking to keep them looking professional and functioning properly. This position will divide its time between our South Bay office in Santa Clara and our headquarters in Palo Alto. This is a part-time 20-hour per week position that will require working two Saturdays per month (half-day each).
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Responsible for day-to-day management of educational materials and their maintenance.
- Respond to maintenance requests in a timely manner, making repairs or replacements as needed.
- Working with volunteers and interns, manage the process of regular cleaning and servicing of kits.
- Two Saturdays per month facilitate workdays maintaining our educational kits, supervising and mentoring our high school docents who assist with this work.
- Maintain orderliness of Materials Rooms in both Santa Clara & Palo Alto offices.
- Maintain general inventory of all supplies for school programs.
- Work with Education and Training Director to assemble new and/or updated kits.
- Maintain electronic educational resources on the volunteer wiki.
2. Volunteer and intern support
- Communicate to our volunteers any major changes involving the kits, materials, or functioning of the materials rooms in a timely fashion.
- Manage all volunteers and interns assisting with materials maintenance projects.
- Assist volunteers with our electronic kit check out system and maintain the kit database within this system, as needed.
3. Education team member/supporting projects
- Participate in EV school programs with sufficient regularity to keep current with student/teacher/volunteer needs and quality of EV programs.
- Occasionally provide staff coverage on a weekend at the EcoCenter to fill in for regular staff.
4. General staff responsibilities
- At all times maintain commitment to, and active implementation of The EV mission, values, & visions.
- Maintain knowledge of the organization’s Strategic Plan, refer to it as a guiding document, and participate in its implementation.
- Actively participate in shared whole staff responsibilities.
Physical Demands of the Job
1. Ability to lift at least 20 pounds
Works collaboratively with all staff and volunteers. Ability to foster positive relationships with volunteers, teachers, and principals.
Position Requirements and Specifications:
The ideal candidate will be:
- Highly organized, multi-tasker.
- A flexible problem-solver with a can-do attitude.
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Adequate means of transportation to and from both offices (Palo Alto and Santa Clara).
- Experience working with teens.
- Artistic, crafts, handiwork, or general tinkering skills.
Title(s) of Job(s) Directly Supervised
Instructions to apply:
Electronic submissions only to: search@EVols.org
In the subject line, please reference your last name, followed by "Materials Coordinator”
Please include a PDF of your cover letter and resume.
No phone calls, please.
All interested individuals, including people of color, women, LGBT persons are encouraged to apply.