Welcome! At Environmental Volunteers, we inspire people of all ages to learn about the wonders of the natural world. We train volunteers (like you!) to lead hands-on science and nature programs in schools, community organizations, and at the EcoCenter in the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve. To see our Mission and Vision, read Our Story.
We achieve our mission through:
We offer School Programs to K-6 classrooms in Santa Clara and San Mateo counties. Our hands-on curriculum meets State of California science education requirements. Our volunteers bring hands-on learning programs to over 10,000 students each year. In the classroom, our volunteers lead hands-on learning stations in small groups. On follow-up field trips, students discover natural science concepts through guided hikes to local nature preserves.
Our headquarters is the EcoCenter, a public nature center in the Palo Alto Baylands Nature Preserve. At the EcoCenter, our friendly docents and staff provide public learning programs, exhibits, and activities for visitors of all ages.
The EV brings fun, hands-on education programs to youth-serving organizations in Silicon Valley, and provides group programs at the EcoCenter. We have worked with organizations such as the Boys & Girls Club of the Peninsula, Catholic Charities Youth Club at St. Francis of Assisi, and more.
Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable and easy-to-schedule transportation for low-income K-12 students in the San Francisco Bay Area who would not otherwise be able to access science and environmental education field trips.
School Programs By the Numbers:
- 10,000 children participate in hands-on learning opportunities each year
- 450 learning programs in schools, nature preserves, and at the EcoCenter
- 300 teachers benefit from school programs curriculum throughout the school year
- 100 trained volunteers provide lively, hands-on learning for students
- 50 schools in San Mateo and Santa Clara Counties receive EV programs
- 46 years of serving Bay Area students since our founding in 1972