Are you a high school student interested in environmental education? Are you passionate about nature but want to learn more about how to effectively share that passion with others? Do you like engaging with others, sharing knowledge, and promoting learning and stewardship? Then Environmental Volunteers has the opportunity for you!
We are looking for a small group of dedicated high school students to serve and learn together for a year.
- EcoCenter Docent: greet visitors and share about the local baylands as well as other hands-on science education
- Community and Outreach: help deliver public programs at the EcoCenter and in the community at tabling events, after school programs, and more!
- Projects: work with our Education Manager to maintain and create quality educational materials.
- Attend 3 scheduled meetings throughout the year.
- Volunteer at least 3 hours a week during the Summer and twice a month(~3 hours each shift) during the school year
- Volunteer for at least one full year, May 2020-May 2021
- Learn from environmental education professionals
- Experience a non-profit setting
- Meet like-minded friends
- Interact with a diverse public audience
- Practice public speaking and teaching
- Learn about the local environment
- Create your own volunteer schedule
How to Apply
Applications can be submitted by email, mail, or through our google form and must include:
- Completed Teen Docent Program application: google form or paper
- A letter of interest, not more than 600 words, describing your interest in environmental education and volunteering with the EV, personal strengths and attributes, and the extracurricular activities you are currently involved in.
- Completed letter of recommendation form (teacher, coach, employer, academic counselor)
Due Date: March 30th, 2020
You will receive an email confirmation once we receive your application.
All applicants will be notified of their acceptance into our Teen Docent Program by April 30th.
Have more questions? Contact Molly Landrith, Volunteer Coordinator, at Molly@EVols.org or (650) 493-8000 ext 345