The Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided field trips to over 25,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The Transportation Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, the Transportation Fund was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, a philanthropic initiative of Super Bowl 50.
Who is eligible?
The Transportation Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations. To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group must:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Sonoma, or Solano);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for a science or environmental-based field trip;
- Have 70% FRPM or greater;
- Each school year, receive only one subsidy per grade level
How much will the grant subsidize?
The Transportation Fund provides subsidies to successful grant applicants as follows:
- The maximum subsidy is $500 per 70 students per field trip.
- For youth-serving organizations (e.g. an after-school program serving a community with 70% FRPM or greater), the maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
*The Transportation Fund is now OPEN for all field trips in 2018/2019!
Please note that there are two applications – one for field trips taking place Oct-Feb, one for field trips taking place Mar-June. Both are still currently accepting applications.
1. Please confirm your school’s FRPM before applying: 2017-18 Transportation Fund FRPM
2. If your school meets all of the listed eligibility requirements listed above, please fill out the Online Registration Form for the application window that applies to your field trip: Oct-Feb or Mar-June. Funding is limited.
Any questions? Please contact us at the EcoCenter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 650-493-8000 ext 339.