The Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided field trips to over 25,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The Transportation Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, the Transportation Fund was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, a philanthropic initiative of Super Bowl 50.
Who is eligible?
The Transportation Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations. To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group must:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Sonoma, or Solano);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for a science or environmental-based field trip;
- Each school year, receive only one subsidy per grade level
How much will the grant subsidize?
The Transportation Fund provides subsidies to successful grant applicants as follows:
- For schools with 70% FRPM or greater, the maximum subsidy is $500 per 70 students per field trip.
- For schools with 40-69% FRPM, if available, the fund will pay up to the percentage of your FRPM (e.g. a school with a 50% FRPM will get a subsidy of 50% of bus costs up to a maximum of $250 per bus). Funding for schools with FRPM between 40-69% is not currently available for 2018-2019.
- For youth-serving organizations (e.g. an after-school program serving a community with 70% FRPM or greater), the maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
*Please check back in August 2018 to apply for the 2018-2019 school year.
1. Please confirm your school’s FRPM before applying: 2017-18 Transportation Fund FRPM
2. If your school meets all of the listed eligibility requirements listed above, please check back in August for our application period. Funding is limited.