The “Let’s Go!” Field Fund formally known as the Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the “Let’s Go!” Field Trip Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided field trips to over 50,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The “Let’s Go!” Field Trip Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, the Transportation Fund was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, a philanthropic initiative of Super Bowl 50.
Who is eligible?
The “Let’s Go!” Field Trip Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations. To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group must:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, or Sonoma);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for a science, nature or environmental-based field trip (this does not include field trips to for-profit institutions).
- Have a 70% FRPM level or greater, or show at least a 70% socioeconomically disadvantaged student population (see additional details below)
- Schedule their field trip during the active (2021/2022) school year or summer 2022.
- Each school year, receive only one subsidy per grade level.
How much will the grant subsidize?
The “Let’s Go!” Field Trip Fund provides subsidies to successful grant applicants as follows:
- The maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
- The fund will do everything possible to support as many buses as are required to allow your entire grade/student population to participate within your county’s physical-distancing requirements. Some limits may be applied.
1. Make sure to use the correct application form when applying for funding. There are two application windows; field trips submitted through the wrong application may not be considered. Funding is limited.
- Application A: Opens Sept 7th for field trips taking place in the Fall and Winter (September-February)
- Application B: Opens Nov 29th for field trips taking place in the Spring (March-June).
- Application C: Opens June 1st for summer field trips (June-August).
2. Confirm your school’s FRPM before applying in one of three ways:
- Use the most recent year of reported income data for your school: see the 2021-2022 Let’s Go Fund FRPM data
- Use the data of the last regular year if your school stopped gathering income data during the pandemic: see the 2019-2020 school year data
- Show at least a 70% socioeconomically disadvantaged student population on their most recent SARC (see SARC Summary).
Please follow additional steps and requirements on the Application Form.
Any questions? Please contact us at the EcoCenter at email@example.com, or 650-493-8000 ext 3.