The Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided field trips to over 20,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The Transportation Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, the Transportation Fund was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, a philanthropic initiative of Super Bowl 50.
Who is eligible?
The Transportation Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations. To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group must:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Sonoma, or Solano);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for a science or environmental-based field trip;
- Each school year, receive only one subsidy per grade level
How much will the grant subsidize?
The Transportation Fund provides subsidies to successful grant applicants as follows:
- For schools with 70% FRPM or greater, the maximum subsidy is $500 per 70 students per field trip.
- For schools with 40-69% FRPM, the fund will pay up to the percentage of your FRPM (e.g. a school with a 50% FRPM will get a subsidy of 50% of bus costs up to a maximum of $250 per bus).
- For youth-serving organizations (e.g. an after-school program serving a community with 70% FRPM or greater), the maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
*At this time, there is no funding available for Transportation Fund grants. Applications are still being accepted and will be added to the waitlist. If funding becomes available, it will be distributed on a first-come basis.
1. Please confirm your school’s FRPM before applying: 2016-17 Transportation Fund FRPM
2. If your school meets all of the listed eligibility requirements listed above, please click the appropriate application on the right side of this page (only one application per grade level is necessary).
Applications for the Transportation Fund are only accepted online and are reviewed on a rolling basis. Applicants will receive an email within 30 days notifying them if they have been awarded funds.