The Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided field trips to over 50,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The Transportation Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, the Transportation Fund was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, a philanthropic initiative of Super Bowl 50.
Who is eligible?
The Transportation Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations. To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group must:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, or Sonoma);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for an outdoor, nature/environmental-based field trip (this does not include field trips to for-profit institutions).
- Have 70% FRPM or greater from either the 2020/2021 OR the 2019/2020 reported CDE data (see additional details below);
- Schedule their field trip during the active (2021/2022) school year. Unfortunately, summer field trips are NOT currently eligible;
- Each school year, receive only one subsidy per grade level.
How much will the grant subsidize?
The Transportation Fund provides subsidies to successful grant applicants as follows:
- The maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
- The fund will do everything possible to support as many buses as are required to allow your entire grade/student population to participate within your county’s physical-distancing requirements. Some limits may be applied.
*The First Transportation Fund Application Window for 2021/2022 opens on Sept 7th. There will be two applications windows:
- Application A: Opens Sept 7th for field trips taking place in the Fall and Winter (September-February)
- Application B: Opens Nov 29th for field trips taking place in the Spring (March-June).
Please make sure to use the correct application form when applying for funding.
1. Please confirm your school’s FRPM before applying: 2020-21 Transportation Fund FRPM (Reported from CDE). NOTE: If your school’s FRPM % dropped last year because parents stopped reporting their incomes, go ahead and use the numbers from the 2019-2020 school year instead.
2. If your school meets all of the listed eligibility requirements listed above, please fill out the Online Registration Form for the application window that applies to your field trip (check back in August for application forms). Funding is limited.
Any questions? Please contact us at the EcoCenter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 650-493-8000 ext 3.