The Transportation Fund (TF) launched in 2011 through a generous grant from the Environmental Education Funders Consortium. Through the Transportation Fund, the Environmental Volunteers provides affordable, easy-to-schedule, efficient and safe transportation for low-income youth (K-12) in the San Francisco Bay Area that facilitates access to science and environmental education field trips.
Since its inception, the fund has provided field trips to over 50,000 low-income students in the San Francisco Bay Area! The Transportation Fund continues through local donations from active community funders. Most recently, the Transportation Fund was selected as a recipient of the Game Changer Grant by the 50 Fund, a philanthropic initiative of Super Bowl 50.
Who is eligible?
The Transportation Fund offers subsidies to low-income schools and youth-serving organizations. To qualify for a Transportation Fund subsidy, the group must:
- Be located in one of the nine Bay Area counties (Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Mateo, San Francisco, Santa Clara, Sonoma, or Solano);
- Serve students from grades TK-12;
- Require transportation for a science or environmental-based field trip (note: this does not include field trips to for-profit institutions);
- Have 70% FRPM or greater;
- Schedule their field trip during the active (2019/2020) school year. Unfortunately, summer field trips are NOT currently eligible;
- Each school year, receive only one subsidy per grade level.
How much will the grant subsidize?
The Transportation Fund provides subsidies to successful grant applicants as follows:
- The maximum subsidy is $500 per 70 students per field trip.
- For youth-serving organizations (e.g. an after-school program serving a community with 70% FRPM or greater), the maximum subsidy is $500 per bus.
*The Transportation Fund opens on Aug 19th for Fall/Winter field trips (Sept 1st-Feb 19th). The application for Spring field trips (Mar 1-June 13th) opens on Nov 18th. Funds are limited, so don’t wait to apply!
1. Please confirm your school’s FRPM before applying: 2018-19 Transportation Fund FRPM
2. If your school meets all of the listed eligibility requirements listed above, please fill out the Online Registration Form for the application window that applies to your field trip (either the Fall/Winter Application or the Spring Application). Funding is limited.
Any questions? Please contact us at the EcoCenter at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 650-493-8000 ext 339.